This is normally held annually, either at Gransden Lodge or OUGC's home airfield at RAF Bicester, and is the traditional opportunity for us to show our skills against "the other place".
This record is incomplete. If you know any details of past varsity matches, please add them to this Wiki, or email the current Webmaster.
|Year||Venue||Result||Cambridge Team or Report|
|2014||Gransden Lodge||Oxford 525 Cambridge 478||Varsity 2014|
|2013||Bicester||Oxford 371 Cambridge 352||Varsity 2013|
|2012||Gransden Lodge||Cambridge 38 Oxford 16||Varsity 2012|
|2011||RAF Bicester||Oxford 129 Cambridge 88||Varsity 2011|
|2010||RAF Bicester||Oxford 496 Cambridge 426||Varsity 2010|
|2009 Jun||RAF Bicester||Oxford 776 Cambridge 551||Varsity 2009|
|2007 Jul||RAF Bicester||Cambridge 112 Oxford 85||Varsity 2007|
|2006 Jul||Gransden Lodge||Oxford Won||Varsity 2006|
|2003 Jun||Gransden Lodge||Cambridge Won|
|2002 Sep||RAF Bicester||Oxford Won||Paul Flower & Charlotte Morley|
|2001 Dec||RAF Bicester||Cambridge Won||John Hingley, Paul Flower, John Glass, James Lloyd-Hughes & Tom Bishop|
|1998||X-Country Ladder||Oxford 14671 Cambridge 13112||Pete Thelwall, Jay Rebbeck, Debbie Thomas, Stuart Crawshaw & Stephen Madle|
|1997 Aug||RAF Bicester||Oxford 80 Cambridge 40||Pete Thelwall, Debbie Thomas & Stephen Madle|
|1995 May||Gransden Lodge||Oxford 1083 Cambridge 1054||Stuart Crawshaw, Henry Rebbeck ,Mark Williams, Alex Parr, Ian Lewis & Kingsley Reavell|
|1994 May||RAF Bicester||Cambridge 458 Oxford 434||James Chappell, Stuart Crawshaw, John Moore, Mark Williams & Henry Rebbeck|
|1993 May||RAF Bicester||Oxford 213 Cambridge 194||Jagdip Grewal, Harjinder Obhi, James Chappell, John Moore, Malte Grosche & Stuart Crawshaw|
|1992 April||RAF Bicester||Cambridge 192 Oxford 192||Damian Debski, Malte Grosche, Stuart Morgan, Harjinder Obhi, Peter Topping, Matthew Turnbull & John Moore|
|1991||RAF Bicester||Oxford Won|
|1989||RAF Bicester||Oxford Won by 57 Points||David Heath-Whyte, Derek Prinsen, Graham Armstrong, Frank Zachariasse & Margaret Oakes|
- A point is awarded for each minute of flight up to 50 mins, after which six points will be deducted for each minute over. The lowest score which can be recorded is 0 points. Two points are awarded for each 100 feet of height gained after the launch provided the climb is maintained for 500 feet. Climbs less than 500 feet do not gain height points.
- The number of pilots in each team should not exceed six and the team members must be decided before the start of the competition. Provisional teams should be declared at least one week in advance.
- Each pilot can enter only one scoring flight for each day of the competition. A day should be declared void if it is not possible for at least three members of each team to fly.
- Teams must record on their own logs the takeoff and landing time for each scoring flight made by a member of their team. Failure to do so renders a flight invalid. An observer from each team shall be present at the launch point during all flights.
- A barograph trace must be submitted for a flight to be awarded height gain points. If this is not available only time points will be awarded for the flight. It is the responsibility of each team to make sure a working barograph is carried in each scoring glider.
- Instructors may fly in scoring gliders and may verbally assist the competitor. They may not physically fly the glider at any time. The only exception to this is to maintain normal safety.
- All flights made during the days of the competitions are potentially valid scoring flights. At the end of each day, teams will submit the takeoff/landing times and trace for the best flight made by each team member.
- At the end of the competition, points for all scoring flights will be totalled and the team with the most points will be declared the winner.
Bad weather rules
As agreed at the 2012 Varsity Match
- Every 1 minute over 5 minutes is counted as one point, each pilot submits the best flight of the day.
- Scores for each university are aggregated, the university with the highest score wins.
- Flights making their final turn below 300ft will not score, nor will land out flights.